The answer is yes! So today we headed to Hamburg to go to a English speaking church we found there. The guest speaker was actually a NFL player from the states. I don't know who it was, but Joe said he was really good. I didn't get to hear him since I was hanging out in the childrens church/nuresry with Maggie and Owen. The whole church service is in English, adn most people there speak english...yet the sunday school is totally in German. I guess it's because the little kids may not know English yet. WEll, Maggie would not sit still to listen to the story, not that I could blame her since she had no clue what the story was even about. But she jumped right up to join in for snacks and craft. After church we headed to a restaurant I had found online called the Louisiana Bar and Restaurant that was American cuisine. We sit down and Joe and I are so excited to see "Classic American Hamburger" on the menu, along with fries and cokes. We put in our order, along with a vanilla milk shake for Maggie. Several minutes later out comes our meals. The first odd thing we notice is Maggie's milk shake....she takes a drink and looks at us and says.."Maggie likes it Momma??" As if to convince herself that she does. I take a sip and say, no honey, I don't think you do. It is exactly what the menu said...a milk shake, or shook up milk. No ice cream, whip topping, or cherry. Just milk shook up. Luckily we had brought her some yogurt adn peanuts so she was okay with sitting aside her (3 dollar) "milk shake." Joe and I begin to eat and immedietly look at each other. I spit out my bite of hamburger and am like, "what in the world is this" Joe swallows his and being the Germany optomistic that he is, says...it's not too bad honey. We never did figure out what the burgers were made of, she told us it was cow beef, but it was not the cow meat we know. Anyhow, we left our entire burgers there (even joe didn't take another bite of his) and paid our bill and left. So anyhow, American cusine obviously doesn't exist in germany. We stopped at a Ben and Jerry's on the way out and got ice cream. It was the same...aside from the fact that you were only allowed to have 1 scoop if you got a cone. The cones were not big enough to hold more than 1 scoop.
The Germans love their beer...in fact we saw today that you can get beer to go with your nachos at the movies as a combo. Right next to the popcorn and coke combo.
We met up with the American couple yesterday that is moving here in June. They were here on their house hunting trip and found one only about 5 minutes from ours which will be great. Her name is Kim and she's really nice. She paid alot of attention to my kids, which always helps when your a mom too! Her kids are almost the exact age as mine so I am sure we will be spending quite a bit of time together.
Joe got the baby seats on our bikes today, so we are officially the Mark and Mary of Germany! He took Maggie out for a quick ride tonight and she loved it. Since everything is closed on Sunday, that is probably how we will spend most of our Sunday evenings.
Here are some more pictures of the house. Here are the stairs that I get to go up and down all day doing laundry.



Here is the kids playroom



Here is the upstairs room that we use as a family room area.
1 comment:
Sounds like you should have gone back to "Bissee" or however you spell it. Glad that Maggie is at least enjoying the food and fellowship part of her church. I guess "O" just sits and smiles at the German sunday school lesson. He pretends to be listening. I sure miss all of you and think of you often every day.
Post a Comment