Thursday, April 20, 2006

We are here

Hello to all of you who check my post daily waiting for some sign that we are in Germany alive and well. Well, here is that sign!! We think we finally have internet up and running as of tonight although the wireless isn't working so i have to come down in the basement on Joe's laptop to get online right now. We had a great trip over here, the flights were not bad at all and the kids could not have been better. When we landed in Amsterdam after our 8 hour flight a lady getting off that was sitting a few rows behind us said, "gosh, I didn't even know you had 2 babies up here." So that was a nice relief. It didn't take any of us long to adjust to the time change and the kids were so happy to be back into their own beds. As for my house over here, it is HUGE. I don't believe I have ever been in a bigger home and I know I will never live in a bigger one than this. Maggie and Owen have plenty of room to play and that is just what Maggie has been doing.

It is very different here, and none of them in a good way. It's not horrible here at all....it's just no America. First of all, they have some stupid obsession with saving the world by recycling every piece of trash possible. Right down to your snot rags and the twist ties for your bread. I have to have 5 different trash bins for all my different kinds of trash. And then, you are only allowed to fill your different trash bins up to a certain point in the can......which creates quite a problem when you have 2 babies in diapers AND they only pick trash up every 2 weeks! So anyhow, we got in trouble this week because we had too much trash in teh can and it was the wrong kind of trash. ( I only know this because my german teacher read me the note that was on my trash can)

Mom has had a good time here, I think she would actually enjoy living here for 2 years. She has made more friends here in 3 weeks than I will probably make the whole 2 years. Not a surprise if you know my mom though! We have a train in our town that you can walk to and it will basically take you anywhere you'd want to go. She and I have done that a few times and just gone to the big shopping mart some. We drove to Denmark on monday for the day which was fun. Not much to do there but shop and eat but we can now say we have been there. As far as the food.....it pretty much sucks, as far as I am concerned. They are supposed to be famous for their sweets but I have yet to taste one that even tastes sweet. The good news is I have already lost 5 pounds since we got here!

Maggie and Owen are doing great. Maggie loves riding the train everywhere and alwasy insists on holding the ticket. (she only lost it once) Mom and I have had a few crazy experiences on there, the worst one being the day it stopped at our stop on our way home from shopping but closed within 20 seconds and took off before we got off the train. So we had to ride all the way to rendsburg, which is about a half hour away and wait there an hour until the train came back to Felde, our town. (This may seem like no big deal, but keep in mind that we can't read the signs nor could we talk to anyone and find out how and when the train came back) Lucily, we had blocked the entrance to get off the train to another guy so we just followed what he did.

Well, I am going to get to bed. I have lots of pictures to post and more to write about later. Just wanted to let you all know what was going on with us. Miss you all!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meghan-
It was so nice to hear from you this week. You're not going to believe this but we really want to come visit this summer!!!! I need to talk to you before we make any definite plans and I don't have your number yet. Call me....
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Meghan;
Sent Joe an e mail today about getting connected. Saw the Illinois on your name so thought you were still unconnected. Glad the Kids were so good on the flight over. ave missed your blog aince you all moved.
Love to you all Grandpa & Grandma Burke

Anonymous said...

Meghan, Joe, Maggie, and Owen, were so glad to hear you all are doing well! We've been checking your web page frequently to see how you're doing. We can't wait to see pictures! Thanks again for the clothes and book. Carlyn is now a super baby and loves her porriage!
Take care. Kirsten, James, and Carlyn

Nicole said...

Hang in there with all the adjustments...I hope you're not feeling lost for long! It's good to hear you're all well and that your air travel wasn't torture with 2 little ones. We miss you at playgroup!

Anonymous said...

Yea Meghan, so glad to hear from you again. I talked to Mimi this evening and we plan to start walking tomorrow so I will get all the latest. I can't wait to hear about everything. I had to laugh about the part where she already met folks, you are so right about her. I rarely know anything around here and get all my updates from her!!! The woman is a wealth of information. Take care of yourself and those sweet babies!

Mary said...

Glad you are online! Nothing new going on here. I have been begging our friends to do things with me because I'm so bored without you!

Anonymous said...

Meghan,
I have asked Jeff to give me the dates that you will be in England, but he still hasnt' gotten around to it. I will be moving either the second or third weekend. Let me know so we can meet and make plans.

Tina