Last Fall I came across an article in a magazine talking about making a jar for the summer with things to do each day. I thought this was a really fun idea so I have been collecting crafts/ideas/fun kid recipes to put in this jar for the summer. The kids have been so excited to get our jars made so last week we put them together since school was about to be out. I had to tweak the original way a bit since we go to the pool pretty much every day and I couldn't plan big outings for every day. So we made one jar for when we went places...."Oh the places we'll go"....such as the zoo, the game farm, berry picking, go to a new pool we have never been to, splash park, etc. The other jar is for more everyday....this has fun crafts in it, recipes the kids have wanted to make, cupcake parties, playing certain things they like me to play with them, and also doing things for others...such as writing someone a letter, taking someone dinner and such. Some of these are bigger deals than others but all can be worked into our day after being at the pool.
We got the jars made and the kids loved rolling up each paper and putting it into the jars....
Josie wasn't so great at the rolling but insisted on helping with it. Here she is shooting owen a look after he told her she wasn't doing it right.
Yep she still has her spunk. haha
Maggie and the finished jars.
She helped me make out most of the list and cannot wait to start this.
We only do the jar on weekdays and no holidays either. So today was our first day and Maggie got to pull the first one out. We are going oldest to youngest and also because she had been so helpful to me that weekend with cleaning and helping with the baby so I told her we'd start with her.
They must keep their eyes closed when picking so they don't see any of them...
Maggie picked to write a letter to someone.
I told them to pick anyone they would like to write a letter to and it was so cute becasue they both said ,"Mama Sue" at the same time. Josie wanted to write hers to Amanda. So we began on that. Maggie and Owen got a few written to several people but Josie didn't get too far. She was very frusterated that she couldn't write, and said she couldn't draw very good either. So after alot of tears we finally got a letter written for her too. I was worried they would not enjoy the days when we were doing something for someone else and it wasn't all about them. But they all 3 were great and excited to do this and we spent almost 2 hours writing leters and drawing pictures for people. I love this idea not just for them but also for me. With 4 kids I often feel like I don't get to spent alot of time just beign with them. I am always needing to get dinner or lunch made....laundry done....cleaning, etc So this is a guarenteed 1-2 hours AT LEAST a day that I dedicate just to spending time with them and having fun.
I love doing things like this with them. I enjoy their excitment and I also like it. I have no doubt that this is what I was made to do.....be a mommy. I love every single bit of it and cherish every second because I know before I realize it they won't want me to make them cuupcakes and bring them to school or make jars of fun for the summer. So I am soaking every little bit while I can. I often wonder why I have been so blessed. I can honestly say that God has given me every single desire of my heart and I know how undeserving I am. I cannot imagine my life beign any more perfect than it is and am so so thankful to God for blessing me with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment