So I did my orientation this week at the Dr. office I am going to be filling in for some. I only ended up doing 2 days becasue it is all pretty much stuff i have done before so I really just needed to see how they ran things there. It is my friend Neila's office so it was alot of fun being there with her all day and everyone else there was really nice too. Mom came down on Monday so she could stay with the kids while I went. It was nice to get back into doing some of the nursing stuff but after day 1 I was SO happy that I am a stay at home mom. I missed the kids alot more than they did me though.....Maggie said she wanted me to work everyday so that I could bring her home a pink sucker and she could stay with MiMi. Owen was happy to see me, although he didn't seem too bothered when I would leave in the mornings. I had my eyes opened quite a bit just from 2 days at working at a Pediatrician's office. 1 out of every 4 kids that came in those two days were overweight, some even considered obese! These weren't all teenagers either, some were as young as 3 & 4! I have heard so much talk about the childhood obesity problem in this country but hadn't seen it upclose like I got to this week. It made me so thankful that I have such healthy little eaters and makes me see how important it is to keep them eating so good. (and to clean up some of my bad eating habits so they don't pick them up!) The saddest part about it is that it isn't these littles kids fault....it is their parents. It takes more time to give their kids healthy foods and I guess they just don't want to fool with that so they give them "convenience foods"....chicken nuggets, mac-n-cheese.....and then the poor kids have to pay the price.
I also feel the medical field needs to clarify so much to the public. Several mom's came in to the office wanting the new vaccination (Gardasil) for their daughters. Most of them went on how great this was because cervical cancer runs in their families and now their daughters will be protected from that. This is not in fact what this vaccination prevents....it prevents against HPV (which is a sexually transmitted disease). HPV can lead to cervical cancer....but only if you have first gotten this STD. So to me it is just a open opportunity to help teen girls have one less fear about having sex at a young age, and nothing to do with the cervical cancer. I just think the public see's it as a drug to prevent against cervical cancer and like many other things they aren't given the entire story. Since it was my first day on the job I didn't feel like it was my place to give my side on this vaccination, but I did do my part in trying to prevent it from becoming mandatory by calling in to our state representatives. Anyhow, I guess this blog has turned into my opinions on several topics....but it is my blog, right?
I had fun though, and am not sure when I will pick up a day yet. I told her to let me know if they need me on a saturday sometime soon, so we will see. The kids both loved having MiMi here and they went to the library and took several long walks which they loved. I obviously haven't been around sick kids for along time since after my first day there I woke up the next morning with a sore throat, headache and major congestion. We saw quite a bit of flu and strep so I am hoping I didn't pick one of those up and that it is just a virus. Mom left this morning to go back home and after begging to go home with her, Maggie finally let her go. Tonight we are headed to Bahamma Breeze for dinner with Nick, Neila, Carson, and Neila's mom Susan. I havent' seen her in awhile so I will be glad to get to catch up with her. Oh yeah.....congratulations Josh and Tab on their new baby girl Emmaline being born! We cannot wait to get in so we can see her.
2 comments:
i wish i could go to bahama breeze with you. call me soon!!!!
I had a lot of fun with the kids this week. Hope Owen is not too mad at me for the "time-out". I love your house and neighborhood. I am SO glad that you are finally back in KY. Love you all.
Post a Comment