Thursday, May 03, 2007

Nature vs Nurture

So I must say in most cases I side with nature. I have 2 wonderful children that Joe and I have raised the exact same way, yet one of them cringes at the sight of dirt on her finger and the other dives in the first mud puddle he see's. One of them could sit hour upon hour in front of the TV, the other can maybe catch one whole episode of little bear without getting bored. And the biggest difference in my 2 little ones is their eating habits! Both of my children had the same nutrional diet from day one: nothing but breastmilk for the first 7 months, then homemade baby food and homemade cereals. For those of you who remember the famous "super baby porridge" , you would swear maggie would eat anything if she'd eaten that her first 2 years of life. (for those of you unare of this wonderful breakfast for your little one, its a mixture of millet, brown rice, steel cut oats, hard boiled egg yolk, tahini, flax seed, and banana...sounds great huh) Well, this is not the case....Maggie hasn't touched a vegetable since about 2 and a half. At least not voluntarily. I don't remember when exactly she began to dub her once loved avacado and porridge as "yucky". But I know it was somewhere after the age of 2. She has never in her life drank a glass of milk, and her diet now consists of cottage cheese and pinapple, mango and yogurt, peanut butter, almost any fruit, potato soup, and spaghetti. So I am constantly trying to think of ways to sneak in her veggies to the foods she eats. A fool proof way is her potato soup, I puree up a bunch of carrots and mix them in her soup before she see's the "before color". We have this weekly so I know she can get some veggies in. I also have snuck a few pureed veggies in her spaghetti sauce, but she has noticed this a few times. Today she requested her soup for lunch so here she is lapping up a bowl of potato soup which actually has more carrots in it then potatos!














The only catch with her soup is you must mash up her potatos. I told her today that before long she must start eating her soup without mashing the potatos. She then told me she coudln't do that because "potatos are so yucky and she gets sick if she eats them." Apparently when you mash up the potatos they turn into something else???
Contrary to maggie, owen will lap up absolulty anything you put on his plate. And I mean anything. Yesterday I gave them both a cup of cookies to snack on and cut myself up some red and green peppers. Owen saw my snack and tossed his cookeis on the floor, reached for my plate saying, "mine mommy, mine." So he ate my peppers. (maggie ate his "floor" cookies)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meg. Everyone has their own ways of trying to get their kids to eat nutritionally. Somehow we got lucky with TJ! He ate everything as a kid...even had rootbeer in a bottle once in the car (remember that??)..which by the way promptly came back up!!! heehee...anyway, he had all the good stuff and the bad stuff and he's pretty healthy and happy and still likes most of his veggies!!! Even green beans! Remember the veggie shakes that JR used to make? And yes, we even gave him...JUICE! GASP! haha...I don't know whose way is right so you just have to go with what's best for your kids! I personally think you do a great job! :-)
Love ya!
Lori

Meghan said...

Sheesh, at this point I would be happy if Maggie would just look at a green bean (without making that gagging noise)

Mary said...

Most parents would kill for their kids to eat as much fruit and other healthy stuff like Maggie. Don't worry, Owen will eventually hate veggies, too. Doesn't everyone? ha ha

Amanda said...

i'm convinced nature always wins. take that from personal experience. :) hehe. oboe is the best eater ever. pineapple and cheese is good for you though. i may eat some right now....