Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten


Maggie began her 1st day of Kindergarten yesterday. She looked absolutley gorgeous and was so excited getting ready that morning. She did not seem nervous at all..but I had enough butterflies in my stomach for us both.





Here she is right out of bed eating her breakfast.




She ususally doesn't get up until 9 or 9:30, so waking up at 7:30 was quite a feat for her! I hate that sleeping in is no longer an option in the mornings for her...and I wait until the last possible second to get her up in the mornings. I still cannot figure out why they did away with half day Kindergarten!

Maggie went right into her classroom and found her desk and settled in. Mrs. Moody came over and (once again) told me how beautiful Maggie is. It has been funny to Joe and I that she tells us both that everytime we see her. Maggie did great and didn't seem to mind at all as we left....Joe and I didn't do as well as her but she never had a clue as we kept ourselves together until we got to the parking lot. :) I have some wonderful girlfriends here who knew it would be a tough day for me so we had a "boo-hoo" breakfast which helped my morning go by much quicker and easier.

We picked Maggie up at 3 and she had a wonderful day. Her teacher said in her note that Maggie did great, (was beautiful...again) was very polite and kind to her classmates, and listened well. I knew she would be a wonderful student. She had lots to tell me and had 2 friends she had made that day, Zoe and Abby. (another little girl had joined their class now so there are 4 girls) I am so glad she enjoyed herself and she bounced out of bed this morning ready to go again. This morning she was quick to tell me she was okay and I could go now....but I still stood by the door and watched her a bit. :) When I took her into class a little blonde boy in front of her turned around and said, "HI MAGGIE!!" I asked her who he was and, being Maggie, she had no clue. haha The day was long for Owen, Josie and I. We all miss her so much, even Josie looks around saying "maggie" throughout the day. Owen isn't sure what to do all day long without his big sis there....which means he follows me around, and Josie follows him around. It's like a big train here. haha I did have a dentist appointment this morning and took them with me. I am so thankful for such wonderful children...they both sat there about an hour while I got my teeth cleaned and such and didn't make much more than a peep. My kids can be rowdy, but I am so thankful for their ability to sit and be (somewhat) still when needed. We picked Maggie up this afternoon and she came out all smiles. I asked her how her day was and she said, "Great, well except one thing." I asked her what and she said, "Well, there is this boy in my class with blonde hair and a red shirt." (that would be the boy sitting in front of her that had said hi) "Well he came up today and said he wanted me to be his girlfriend" I about died when she said that but asked her what she did. She told me she came up with a plan with her friend Abby to find some money and pay him to leave her alone. haha. I have no clue where she came up with this idea but she told me after that they all just played together and had fun. I was not happy about this little encounter today and told her to inform the boy she could be his "friend" only. It may seem like no big deal, but to me it was huge as I don't like my kids being exposed to things like "boyfriend/girlfriend at such a young age. Maggie has had many "boy" friends but that has never come up and at the age of 5 that is how I feel it should be. Yes, I am overprotective of my kids but in my opinion it's better to be overprotective and keep them from things others see as silly than to be underprotetive.
So her first 2 days have been great for her, in her prayers last night she said, "Jesus help me to have a perfect day tommorow, just like today." And I am so glad she is liking it so much and hope it stays that way. But I must say this has been the hardest thing on me as a parent yet. I hate her being gone all day and miss her so much. I do worry some, but that isn't the bulk of it. I just love my little girl and love being with her. I want her to know someday when she reads back on this (because I WILL eventually get this blog made into a book) how very much I have loved every second of staying home with her these past 5 1/2 years. I have looked at Josie several times today and can vividly remember Maggie that same age and it doesn't seem possible that she has gone from Josie's age to where she is now. And I hate it.....I do. I know she has to grow up and I want her to....just not yet.
So that has been our first 2 days of this new adventure.
Here are some more pics of her ready for her first day....






How adorable is she!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I am glad she loves it. I know it is hard on you but enjoy these years with the younger two. I figure there will be another one on the way in the next year anyway :) I love you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on going to school Maggie! You look so much like your Daddy in your pictures~adorable!
Kirsten