The only thing you really have to be able to do to make swim team is swim the whole length of the pool by yourself. (and from what I heard they were pretty lax on that). Last summer Josie could swim the pool, but she hadn't been in the pool since last summer. So I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. She was determined she was going to make the team...although I kept telling her that she had to swim the whole pool, and I wasn't sure she could still do that.
She asked me, "If I drowned, than I don't make the team right?" I assured her she wouldn't drowned. lol
Maggie and Owen both swam and did great. And than it was Josie's turn. There were a lot of people standing around and she looked pretty much terrified. I told her she didn't have to but in she jumped.
The up side was that she did get to the end of the pool.......the down side was she held onto the side pretty much the entire way. :) I must say I was super proud of her for getting to the end...because I know she was scared.
The coach said she could try again after getting in the pool a few times or I could just bring her to swim practice and see how she did after a day or two. But Josie knew she didn't "technically" make the team. And she was so sad. I told her she could keep trying and see how it went...and I signed her up for swim lessons.
She did great her first lesson and at the second one she not only jumped off the board and swam to the side herself...but she also swam the whole length of the pool.....several times! She is great on her backstroke...just like Owen was at that age. She was so excited and proud of herself for doing it. When we were leaving and I told her that she made the team...she said, "I told you I would make it Mommy." She is quite a determined little girl. Which can be bad at times....but also can be great. I just hope as she gets older she has her mind set to do great things.!
No comments:
Post a Comment