
Owen got his first try at solids today and it was definetly not a hit. I guess after having only breastmilk for 6 months anything else is going to be an adjustment. I tried to make it easy on him and give him bananas since they are yummy but I guess he doesn't agree yet. As you can see, he preferred to suck his hands as opposed to the food. Maggie was very excited about him eating and tried her best to help feed him. That only made matters much messier and ended with tears from Owen.

He looked so small in the high chair, it practically swallowed him up. He was much happier when we got him out and let him hang out on the couch with Maggie for awhile. He had another Doctor appointment today to find out why he isn't pooping very often and basically they just want to do more testing to rule things out. I wasn't extremley happy with this doctor though. He is a well known pediatric GI doc at the childrens hospital, yet he informed me that after 4 months breastmilk isn't enough nourishment for a baby and that I should have began juice and foods 2 months ago. Okay.....not only am I a nurse but any idiot can open a parenting magazine and see that juice is a major no no practically forever (all the sugar) and definetly not at 4 months old. Not to mention the American Acadamy of Pediatrics says to hold off solids as long as you can and it's better for the child. Maggie had nothing but breastmilk for 7 months and never tated juice until she was 18 months and still only gets 10% juice to 90% water, and she has grown just fine. So i was totally annoyed when I left there and will be anxious to see my pediatrician tommorow who is totally against giving juice to babies and didn't start his kids on any food until they were like 11 months old. Anyhow, after working in the NICU as a nurse I realized that even the "experts" aren't always correct and this is a time when I am going to use that experience to say that he is definetly not right on this one. Okay, so enough complaining about that whole situation. I just ask you all to pray for Owen that he will just start pooping normally and we can drop this whole thing. (funny request to pray for, I know, but prayer is the only thing that i am certain works)



1 comment:
Meg, I know it's hard to listen to all those advice givers...but look at TJ...he had juice pretty early (and a lot of it I might add!) and solids pretty early and he only started out at 24 ounces, (equivalency of 2 cans of coke!). And he turned out pretty good I think. We even put Karo syrup in his formula sometimes. Go figure. And then Maggie on the other hand didn't have all that stuff and she turned out to be as healthy as TJ! So 2 different situations, 2 great results. Of course, you know JR and I, we are pretty much gonna do our own thing with him anyway. JR's a nonconformist!!! hahaha! We love you, and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.
Post a Comment