Friday, April 20, 2007

Feeding the Ducks

So as i think I have said before, Joe and Nick play basketball every week at a place here called HOOPS. Neila and I joke it is like a mall for high school boys....but in our husbands defense there are lots of "dads" there too. Neila and I usually go watch and make it an excuse to have dinner out before hand. This week, Neila had some older bread she was going to toss and since she shares Maggie's love of "the wild" she suggested we stop at a park right by there and feed the bread to the ducks. The park is really nice, basically just a lake with tons of ducks everywhere. Maggie was a little hesitant at first to get too close after she heard me and Neila talking about how ducks will come up and attack people sometime. But she really liked the little white ones and tried to get her bread to them.

Owen just watched her feed them for awhile until I asked him if he wanted to feed the ducks and he said yes. We gave him a piece of bread and told him to throw pieces of it at the ducks. A few minutes later I glance over at him and see he is eating his old bread! If you know Owen and his love for food this is even funnier....but it was so cute, he would throw them a piece and then take a bite for himself. Neila assured me the bread wasn't quite molded yet, just crusty. :) Carson also had fun watching the ducks and the kids. We tried to get a picture of the 3 of them feeding the ducks but my kids are old enough to have an uneasy feeling about ducks walking up behind you so they both were on the lookout the entire time. I bet I took 15 pictures of them and everytime one of my kids is looking behind them. I finally got this one, and as you can see Owen is not happy to be that close to a big black goose, especially when he is out of his sight.












They had a really fun time and then we headed to the game to see the last half. I just remembered the funniest thing that Maggie said a few weeks ago when we were in the whole foods store and I had forgotten to post it. We were checking out and as many people who work in that store, he was very ala natural. LONG hair pulled back in a big pony tail and questionable clothes. Maggie was her usual chatty self that day and begins talking to him and asking him all sorts of questions. He was geting my things rung up so he wasn't paying a lot of attention to her (thank goodness!) and all of a sudden she goes....,"hmmmm, long hair....are you a man or a lady?" I began talking to him and shoving her forward telling her to go over to neila and carson but she insists on seeing this out and keeps asking. I am putting my stuff in the bag trying to get her out of there when she says, "hmmm, okay then....I guess you must be a MADY." I was about to fall over I wanted to laugh so hard but we just got out of there as quick as possible and I thought I would just let this one go instead of trying to get into this conversation with her. How funny is that. She is always saying the funniest things, last week she, owen and Joe were rough houseing (my favorite thing for them to play) and Joe says to Maggie, "Mag, go tackle Owen." She looks at Joe funny, walks over to Owen and knocks him upside the head. Owen burst into tears and looks at Joe like, "why did you just tell her to do that?" Joe gets onto Maggie asking her why in the world she just hit him and Maggie says, "daddy, you said to attack him." Joe and I bust out laughing and Joe says, "no mag, i said tackle him...do you know what that means?" She shakes her head no. It was pretty funny, of course not for Owen!

Today the kids and I just ran some errands and I had cleaned out Joe and I's closet so I took that stuff to a consignment store and the rest to Goodwill. I have always given all of Joe's giveaways to Tres since Joe usually only wears it once or twice before deciding he doesn't like it anymore....but Tres missed out this round and I actually got to make a little money on it, which was nice.
Tonight we are going to have burgers on the grill since it has decied to warm up again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are wonderful pics of the kids, but totally priceless expressions on Owen's face!
Quack, Quack
Kirsten