Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A fish, because.......

Maggie woke up the other morning and said, "mom, i wish i could have a dog like everybody else." I said, "honey you have lots of dogs, clifford, penny, peanut, lucky." (all which are stuffed) and she says, "no mom, a real dog." I was dreading this time to come, she always tells people that have dogs that she also has dogs and begins naming all her stuffed dogs. Until now she seemed quite content with that. Well, this morning she changed her mind. I told her we couldn't have a dog becuase mommy didn't like animals in the house (not to mention I would have to move out since if I come anywhere close to any animal with hair my airways close up!) She agreed she didn't want it in the hosue either but she thought we could build it a house outside and she could walk it. I told her then we would have all the dog poop in the yard, like at MImi and Grandad's house(whole other story but mom and dad's neighbors seem to think that people who don't have dogs like other people's dogs to poop in their yard???) and she may step in it again. Well, she then moved on to cats and a few other animals until we finally came to fish! I thought this was a good idea so she called her daddy at work to tell him what she had come up with and he no sooner got home from work that they were getting piled in the car to go to the petstore and get some fish. Maggie was so excited and made up a song while getting ready about going to get some fish. Owen was equally as excited, although I don't think he had any idea what was going on. He just walked around saying, "i get fish, i get fish." I think he was happier about getting to go with daddy than getting fish. Well, we are now the proud owners of about 6 different kinds of fish (no clue what kind) We bought a small tank and the lady there told us several times not to put the fish in it until the water had sat for a day. Well, we get home and Joe sets the whole thing up, fills it up with water, and dumps in the fish. (exactly what she said not to do) His take on it was the kids want the fish in the tank, walmart is open 24 hours, if they die we get more. Well, 3 days later all the fish are still alive so I think the water temperature shock is made up.

Last week Aunt Amanda came to visit which means Maggie and Owen have a playmate 24/7. They had so much fun with her, and I think she loved being with them as well. While Amanda was here Maggie mastered a few new words including "quiet, queen, quack, cracker, and cry." She was so cute, as I said before "qu" has always come out "f" which made for some interesting words. We were in the car and Amanda was asking her what she does when Owen is sleeping. She said, "I have to be QUiet. Her eyes got as big as saucers and she said, "oh my gosh, I can say quiet." It was so cute.
This weekend is Thunder over Louisville, which is like the biggest fireworks display in the US (okay, if I am incorrect on this tell me, but this is what I have been told) I think it all ties in with Derby and so this is a big thing where they have fun stuff down by the river all day and then end the night with a fireworks diplay. Tickets are usually super expensive to get into any place down there but Joe got a good deal through work so we got tickets and are going Saturday with our friends Johnny, Wendy, and their kids, Annie and Tristan. They live about 45 minutes away in Harrodsburg and we haven't seen them since we moved here so we will be glad to get to hang out with them this weekend.

So I opened up Maggie and Owen's fisher price doctor kit that they got for Christmas today (i keep a bunch of their gifts in a closet and pull one out every now and then). I couldn't not believe it, okay....if anyone is unaware of the obesity problem in kids today just go buy one of these and check out the blood pressure cuff! It is about 4 times what it was when i was little and had this. The cuff fit very loosely around my upper arm, so as you can imagine it didn't fit at all on the kids. Anyhow, I was quite shocked at how huge that they had made this nowdays and I am sure the obesity problem in kids today is the reason. Well, sorry I don't have any pictures, I will get some of the kids and the fish soon....hopefully while we still have 6! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meg, I have to defend all dog owners out there...well, at least some of them...we don't all think it's ok for our dogs to poop in other people's yards. heehee...CiCi would NEVER DO THAT. (smile) Well, at least I don't know about it if she does (I really hope she doesn't!)!...anyway, I think you made a wise choice with the fish...you won't have to have anyone really "take care" of them when you go away....like Joe said if they die...Walmart is a great place huh??? But dogs sure are a lot of fun....I know, who ever thought I would be saying that??? I was on your team at one time!!!!!!
Love you guys!!!!!! Give Maggie and Owen X's and O's for us!
Love,
Lori